Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The process continued...

Lucky for us my husband has a very flexible work schedule, because once we started telling family and friends the plan, they all had ideas of things we could do along the way. Friends from church suggested gem mining in North Carolina and my parents suggested visiting extended family in North Carolina. So...we decided that it would be a good idea to spend a couple of days in North Carolina on our way to D.C.
First, I stared researching gem mines. I never imagined I would be a treasure hunter, but it sounded like fun and there are so many options. My husband and I finally agreed upon Emerald Hollow Mine because it is the closest location to family and it seemed reasonable in price. Other mines that we looked at were: Emerald Village, Gem Mountain, Old Pressley Sapphire Mine, Elijah Mountain, Cherokee Ruby and Sapphire Mine, Gold City Gem Mine, and Rose Creek Mine.
The only problem with our mining scheme was that we needed to be well rested in order to dig for treasure. Tired kids digging for treasure might not be any more fun than bored kids raking leaves at home. So it was determined that we needed a resting point along our drive. Rock Hill, SC looked good for the final resting point (at least for day 1 of our trip). It shortened day 1's drive and it's not too far from buried loot.

No comments:

Post a Comment